We have been trying to add more raw meals to our menus after reading about the many benefits of eating raw. Raw foods are supposed to be more beneficial because when food is heated over 104 degrees Fahrenheit, it begins to damage it's nutrients and enzymes. Research has shown that nutrients are damaged and destroyed as food is heated and cooked. Adding more raw dishes to our diets has made a huge difference in how we feel.
|Zucchini Pasta Alfredo|
This is more of a summer recipe because it is easier to get fresh zucchini from your garden, but it's equally delicious anytime. If you aren't into raw but still want the benefits of eating healthier, you can still heat the zucchini and sauce, it is delicious either way!
The "pasta" in this recipe are actually zucchini cut into noodles with a spirooli. This is a great tool that can also make potato noodles, potato twists, slice cabbage and do much more with raw vegetables. We bought ours from NaturalZing for $28.50, but you can also get them from Amazon.
Live Zucchini Pasta Alfredo
2 medium zucchinis
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 lemon, juiced
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tsp sea salt
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup water
1 Tbs pine nuts
- Soak cashews in water for 1 hour.
- Create noodles with the zucchini using the spirooli.
- Blend the soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor or blender until well blended and creamy.
- Place noodles on a plate and spoon sauce over the top or mix noodles & sauce together, to your liking. You may have extra sauce.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
To make the zucchini noodles:
|Cut ends off zucchini|
|Put in spirooli noodle maker|
|Turn handle and apply constant pressure towards blade|
|Add this is what you end up with!|
|Add the cashew sauce, garnish with basil and serve!|
alt="Blogfest" width=160 height=160 src="https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q_f-TCWe9vo/UH15StywSLI/AAAAAAAACLQ/VNr386rjwck/s400/square_fest_no_shading.jpg"