Welcome to Bepa's Garden!
This blog is about organic gardening, healthy eating and healthy living.
Each month I will be posting Garden To-Do Lists, Tips & Techniques, Garden Project Plans, Photos from the Garden, Recipes and Book Reviews.
I hope you enjoy reading and I hope I can inspire others to start a backyard garden!
Happy Gardening!
~Rob~

Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A duck house made from recycled materials ...

After many, many, ... many months, the duck house is finally finished!


I had originally planned on having it built it before last winter, but just never seemed to find the time to work on it. In the meantime, I have been using a portable pen, that I built, to put the ducks up in each night before wheeling them into the garage.

The new house is much larger and more comfortable for the ducks than the portable pen, and is made completely from recycled materials!


The frame is one of my old cold frames that I cut down to make a winter shelter for the ducks and the base is leftover lumber from an old work bench that I made.


The flooring is 1-1/2" cedar from the old swing set that I took down last year.


The walls are also lumber from the swing set and the roof is from the old rabbit hutch.



The side walls are off-cuts from the raised bed boxes for the school garden and all the material for the door, including the hinges and latch, came from the old rabbit hutch!




The ducks spent their first night in their new house last night and seem to be happy with it. They now have their own little corner next to the garden and it is so much easier to put them up at night!


~Rob~

Shared at:

From the Farm Blog Hop

4 comments:

  1. So awesome! It's really great that you were able to use recycled materials for the duck house. Very clever and green! The ducks really seem to like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very nice house and all essentially free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great house! The ducks clearly love it! I love how they checked your progress! Thanks for linking up this morning at From the Farm: http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/05/from-farm-blog-hop-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have baby ducks, and are building a fence around the chicken coops. It just takes time to get it all done. By the time my husband gets home at night we are both pooped;) I bet the ducks are loving it.

    ReplyDelete