We have been making these for quite some time. I can't remember where this recipe originally came from but I think we started with a basic scone recipe and veganized it. These scones are so fluffy and delicious, you can't tell that they are made without dairy or eggs. You can also substitute blueberries for the chocolate chips for equally delicious scones!
2 cups white, or whole wheat pastry flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons vegan margarine (Earth Balance)
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/3 cup vanilla soy milk (or rice milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons EnerG egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
- Pre-heat oven to 400° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine egg replacer and water, wisk and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the vegan margarine and pulse until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg replacer mixture, soy milk and vanilla.
- Add chocolate chips (or blueberries) and wet mixture to dry ingredients, stir until a dough forms.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead a few times. then flatten into a circle about 2 inches thick.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet and flatten into a circle about 2 inches thick.
- Slice like a pie into 8 triangles and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes until golden.