Welcome to Bepa's Garden!
This blog is about organic gardening, healthy eating and healthy living.
Each month I will be posting Garden To-Do Lists, Tips & Techniques, Garden Project Plans, Photos from the Garden, Recipes and Book Reviews.
I hope you enjoy reading and I hope I can inspire others to start a backyard garden!
Happy Gardening!
~Rob~

Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Asparagus

The last of the asparagus has finally been picked for the season. This year we had a very good crop. We harvested it from early spring until just last weekend. The patch was put in about 4 years ago, but I mistakenly cut down all the tiny spears that came up the first year. I didn't know that you are supposed to let some of the spears seed out because it forces more to come up the following year. The stalks should be left until fall when they turn brown, and then cut down to the ground. You are also not supposed to cut heavily until the third year. My asparagus is mulched heavy with leaf mulch which keeps the plants moist and holds down weeds. It is important to keep the weeds at bay so they don't compete with the asparagus. Last year I saved some seeds and am going to try to start more plants. Asparagus is a perennial vegetable, the plants should produce for many years. My asparagus crowns were purchased from Cook's Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment